One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1predicative (of a person) not fitted or suited for a particular task or vocation.‘he seemed to know he was unfitted for such a role’
incompetent, inept, lacking ability, no good, inadequate, not good enough, leaving much to be desired, inexpert, unproficient, unskilful, ineffective, ineffectual, inefficacious, feeble, unfit, unqualified, inferiorView synonyms
- ‘He sat down with his Bible to equip himself for a calling to which he felt unfitted by temperament, inclination, and physical health.’
- ‘Thus, to train children to perform mental operations, or to practice tasks, for which they are unfitted, is a crime against nature.’
- ‘As things had worked out Stein had had the unusual experience of being a genuine supremo in his first managerial job and he was subsequently unfitted for any subordinate command.’
- ‘The lives of Nicholas and Alexandra were tragic because both had endearing qualities and both found themselves playing roles for which they were quite unfitted.’
- ‘It is to be remarked that a good many people are born curiously unfitted for the fate waiting them on this earth.’
- ‘But try to imagine a personality wholly unfitted for the rough and tumble of the world's labour-market.’
- ‘The serious failings of Univan led to a ship and a crew unfitted for the foreseeable eventualities of the voyage.’
- ‘He was sadly unfitted for hating his best friend or for torturing his wife.’
- ‘They declared him unfitted to receive that blessing, and urged that he be required to be educated into that capacity.’
- ‘Burnside knew that he was unfitted to command an army, but was widely liked despite his failings.’
- ‘They are wholly unfitted, by temperament and training, for the cut-throat, hard-nosed commercial environment in which they now find themselves.’
- ‘It is painful to admit, but it is incontrovertibly true, that a large number of those now occupied in nursing are totally unfitted for the duties they are called upon to perform.’
2(of furniture) not fitted.
- ‘Cabinetry, in both cherry wood and ivory-matte lacquer finishes, was selected to create an unfitted furniture look.’
- ‘When possible, include any free standing or unfitted piece of furniture into the design no matter what theme you are trying to create.’
- ‘The next major issues to address are storage space and whether to choose a fitted or unfitted kitchen.’
- ‘A freestanding refrigerator and walk-in pantry give the kitchen the currently popular unfitted look, a style that had its first heyday before the advent of built-ins.’
- ‘Rick developed design ideas for the farmhouse-style kitchen, with unfitted cabinetry and generous uses of old and reclaimed lumber.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.