One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Having no known or acknowledged father; illegitimate.
born out of wedlock, born of unmarried parentsView synonyms
- ‘In the year 2004, America faces a far greater crisis in a generation of boys and young men who have been unfathered, untutored, undisciplined, and ultimately unleashed on society.’
- ‘Instead, the US Government has given their unfathered, unmentored and uninitiated youth the dubious correctional benefits of prison.’
- ‘Although our myths and fairy tales are full of examples of the plight of fatherless children, are unfathered children really at risk today in modern America?’
- ‘Reach out to an unfathered child and include him in one of your family activities before school starts.’
- ‘Of course unfathered children portend the continued unraveling of the social order and the rise of the welfare state.’
- 1.1literary Of unknown or obscure origin.‘unfathered rumors’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.