Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Unable to be explained or accounted for.‘unexplainable rages’
inexplicable, unexplainable, insoluble, unsolvable, incomprehensible, beyond comprehension, beyond understanding, unfathomable, impenetrable, puzzling, perplexing, baffling, bewildering, mystifying, mysterious, arcane, inscrutable, peculiar, unusual, curious, strange, freak, freakish, unparalleled, queer, odd, bizarre, extraordinary, astonishing, obscure, abstruse, enigmaticView synonyms
- ‘One of those works, for reasons that are unexplainable, can appeal to people in a more pedestrian way, a more ordinary way.’
- ‘We have developed an unexplainable bond in just a few short months.’
- ‘It mirrored the way he had felt just moments before, that strange, unexplainable calm.’
- ‘In life some tragedies are strange and unexplainable and the passing of a young person in the prime of life is perhaps the most poignant of all.’
- ‘Each of the pouches was stuffed with bizarre and unexplainable tools or devices.’
- ‘William experienced a weird and unexplainable combination of feelings.’
- ‘As The Guardian notes, a couple of researchers have found some unexplainable data.’
- ‘After this minor incident I developed an unexplainable care and interest in the nest.’
- ‘It remained just one of many such unexplainable mysteries of God.’
- ‘We do stuff in our lives because of so many unexplainable reasons.’
- ‘A weird, unexplainable urge had made her want to cling to Arynne and cry into her shoulder while begging her not to go.’
- ‘The film attempts to explain something that is ultimately unexplainable.’
- ‘I nodded, my hands suddenly wringing in a strange and unexplainable nervousness.’
- ‘It felt so strange, an unexplainable feeling constricted in his chest, but for that same reason, he couldn't return it.’
- ‘She was more cute than beautiful, but she was still attractive in a strange and unexplainable sort of way.’
- ‘As it turned out the League Final was a disaster and an unexplainable mystery all rolled into one.’
- ‘Each has its own nuance, its own hidden traps and unexplainable kinks.’
- ‘And this point of view may explain a lot of things that are otherwise unexplainable.’
- ‘For some unexplained, or unexplainable, reason the parties are unable to communicate.’
- ‘Despite Sebastian's strange, unexplainable abilities, he stuck by him through it all.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.