Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Income from investments rather than from work.
- ‘Similarly, imposing a Social Security tax on the unearned income of wealthy investors would suffice.’
- ‘We want at least as much of your unearned income as you take of our earned income.’
- ‘In most cases, renting out flats is considered unearned income and is therefore exempt.’
- ‘Perhaps Congress should consider a tax rate for unearned income.’
- ‘Interest represents the working person's tribute to the power of money, and gives rise to levels of unearned income far in excess of that suggested by its magnitude.’
- ‘As the dividend is unearned income of the recipient, it does not qualify for pension contributions.’
- ‘No one would enjoy the benefits of unearned income from land.’
- ‘Money from letting is classed as unearned income and, in some cases, people could be taxed at 40 per cent.’
- ‘The order of set off is firstly against earned income (income from a trade, profession or employment), then against unearned income (income from investments and property).’
- ‘‘Many still believe that rent is effectively unearned income, but many of our members have large portfolios,’ he said.’
- ‘From now on you need to approach earned income as you do unearned income.’
- ‘George concedes that it may be possible to identify other elements of unearned income, but he insists that, even if this is so, the increment of land value remains a unique phenomenon.’
- ‘We're just proposing that such unearned income be subjected fairly to taxes, like all other income in our society is.’
- ‘In addition, big medical bills can deplete a family's savings, lowering its unearned income in later years.’
- ‘‘The rental income is treated as unearned income, so tax could be payable by the person who receives the rental income,’ says Alexander.’
- ‘Taxing unearned income doesn't create a drag on the economy, because it doesn't discourage work.’
- ‘On top of this, another 30 per cent currently pay income tax from unearned income - on income from pensions and savings.’
- ‘Withholding can be avoided for students who can be claimed as dependents if unearned income is $250 or less and total income doesn't exceed $4,750.’
- ‘He had much success in this office: in 1907 he introduced a new system of income tax rates which discriminated between earned and unearned income.’
- ‘All my retired clients, or my clients who are dependent upon unearned income, are very concerned because their accounts are their sole source of revenue.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.