One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Brucellosis in humans.
- ‘For example bacteria in unpasteurized milk have been known to infect those who drink it with polio, tuberculosis, typhoid, diphtheria, undulant fever, and foot and mouth disease.’
- ‘Thus undulant fever, a particularly debilitating illness that often led to rheumatism, became known as Malta fever - to which many Maltese objected.’
- ‘It can also be passed to humans, causing a chronic ailment known as undulant fever.’
- ‘It can also bring about undulant fever in humans.’
- ‘This provision is extended to enteric fever, dysentery, diphtheria, scarlet fever, acute inflammation of the throat, gastroenteritis, and undulant fever.’
Late 19th century: so named because of the intermittent fever associated with the disease.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.