One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not dismayed or discouraged by a setback.
brave, fearless, courageous, valorous, plucky, intrepid, heroic, stout-hearted, lionhearted, manly, manful, bold, daring, audacious, gallant, confident, spirited, stout, undaunted, dauntless, doughty, mettlesome, unalarmed, unflinching, unshrinking, unblenching, unabashedView synonyms
- ‘He remained stonelike, unruffled and undismayed.’
- ‘By the end, we were reasonably tired and emotional, and were fairly undismayed to find that we'd come last.’
- ‘I will be courageous and undismayed in the face of odds.’
- ‘Mr. Saturn met her eyes undismayed, chuckling.’
- ‘Singh's work is capable of negative discovery, and it can have a mordant mood, but it remains undismayed.’
- ‘I can't help being fond of him, he is so resourceful and undismayed, two of the qualities I like best.’
- ‘Undismayed, they continued to fire at his position hoping to somehow hit him, even though he was completely covered.’
- ‘I know that we shall not fail them; but fortified by the great experience in this war of our strength in unity, go forward with them undismayed into the future.’
- ‘He was apparently undismayed by his party's expected inability to block the two-thirds majority.’
- ‘Quiet by nature, Fellows is fearless at the crease and his adventurous approach helped him to prosper while Vaughan seemed undismayed by all that had previously happened.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.