Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A semicircular wire support stitched under each cup of a bra.
- ‘What I did was simply wear lower-cut tops and camis with a regular underwire bra.’
- ‘If underwire bras are run though a washing machine, their wires will poke out for sure.’
- ‘Underwear makers promote support bras made without an underwire, as even a small bit of metal can trigger a sensitive alarm.’
- ‘Does the underwire in your bra always poke through after a few wearings?’
- ‘Am I ever going to mend this pile of bras in which the underwire has come poking out?’
- ‘So I raced off to go through the security checks and of course they were extra slow, demanding that I take my shoes off (flip flops!) and get very thoroughly frisked to check that the metal on my chest was indeed the underwires in my bra.’
- ‘It's more lingerie-oriented than your wife may be interested in, but even their conventional underwire bras feel soft and comfortable to me.’
- ‘Two-thirds of the fitters recommended bras with the wrong underwire shape, according to the report.’
- ‘I have suddenly heard a zillion horror stories involving underwire bras and patdowns.’
- ‘One of my bras lost an underwire in the washing machine a few months back.’
- ‘If you have sensitive skin, find a bra with plastic underwires, clips and snaps.’
- ‘I go through security, where my underwire bra did not set off an alarm.’
- ‘Look for a wide band for support, uplifting underwire, and cups made of sturdy rather than sheer fabric.’
- ‘I always put my bras in a separate zippered bag, with instructions to wash them but not dry them, and then I hang them up at home to dry (less chance of breaking an underwire that way).’
- ‘Honestly, she writes well and knows her lingerie from strap to underwire and back again.’
- ‘An underwire bra is not permitted inside the facility.’
- ‘Keep in mind, though, that with or without underwires, bras with no straps will not be as supportive.’
- ‘All seams, hooks, clasps and underwires should be covered with a soft, moisture-wicking fabric.’
- ‘Avoid wearing super tight clothes and underwire bras, if necessary.’
- ‘Thicker padding gives extra oomph while the underwire supports and lifts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.