One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A subordinate official, in particular (in the US) the principal assistant to a member of the cabinet, or (in the UK) a junior minister or senior civil servant.
member of the government, political leader, cabinet minister, secretary of state, secretary, department head, privy counsellor, politicianView synonyms
- ‘The undersecretaries operate in individual portfolios - they're not just undersecretaries for the prime minister in general.’
- ‘He's the undersecretary for border and transportation security.’
- ‘He is the deputy assistant secretary - undersecretary for intelligence.’
- ‘She was an undersecretary in the U.S. Department of Agriculture.’
- ‘At present, all Cabinet Ministers have several undersecretaries who are paid money on top of their remuneration as MPs.’
- ‘After other parents had made similar allegations, the local member of parliament persuaded the undersecretary of state for health in the House of Lords that a government inquiry was required.’
- ‘But she's concerned about a lack of funding for the undersecretary's office.’
- ‘Congratulations on being designated the next undersecretary of state for public diplomacy.’
- ‘His reward was a post as undersecretary in the Foreign Ministry.’
- ‘Cabinet secretaries are undoubtedly senior, and some reporters extend the title to their deputies and undersecretaries.’
- ‘The undersecretary brightened and even smiled.’
- ‘The difference between congressional testimony from an undersecretary of defense and a major speech by the president of the United States is incalculable.’
- ‘This guy works in the Pentagon as a deputy undersecretary of defense for intelligence.’
- ‘Babe, why are you wasting your time with an assistant to a deputy secretary, when you could be with me, a deputy assistant undersecretary?’
- ‘At 36, he served as assistant secretary of the Treasury and eventually became the first undersecretary of enforcement.’
- ‘The centerpiece of the Pentagon's campaign was the recent creation of a new undersecretary of defense for intelligence.’
- ‘There is one female ambassador and two female undersecretaries; however, no female judges or prosecutors’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.