One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Underclothes, especially those made of linen.
women's underwear, underclothes, underclothing, undergarments, nightwear, nightclothesView synonyms
- ‘She found a drawer of men's stockings and underlinen.’
- ‘The petticoat had a dual role as both an underlinen and a structural garment.’
- ‘The late Middle Ages saw a vogue for embroidering underlinen - the shirt worn by both sexes of the wealthier classes.’
- ‘The woman leaning on the rail of her back porch, had caught her eye, and nodded, as it seemed to Saxon, half to her and half to the underlinen on the line.’
- ‘Women's costume consisted of underlinen, smock and petticoat, gown, ‘crosse cloths’, apron, neckerchief and coat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.