Underclothes, especially those made of linen.
women's underwear, underclothes, underclothing, undergarments, nightwear, nightclothesView synonyms
- ‘The petticoat had a dual role as both an underlinen and a structural garment.’
- ‘Women's costume consisted of underlinen, smock and petticoat, gown, ‘crosse cloths’, apron, neckerchief and coat.’
- ‘The woman leaning on the rail of her back porch, had caught her eye, and nodded, as it seemed to Saxon, half to her and half to the underlinen on the line.’
- ‘She found a drawer of men's stockings and underlinen.’
- ‘The late Middle Ages saw a vogue for embroidering underlinen - the shirt worn by both sexes of the wealthier classes.’