One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A color or design applied to pottery before it is glazed.
- ‘Explaining her actions for viewers, she applies white slip and colored underglazes for decorations.’
- ‘After the students had created designs to decorate their dishes, I gave them the ‘green light’ to paint their fish with colorful underglazes.’
- ‘The editing is based on their knowledge of working with underglazes on clay.’
- ‘Apply two coats of the desired color of glaze or underglaze with a coat of clear glaze over the top.’
- ‘I have worked hard to find the right clays, underglazes and glazes that are compatible.’
- ‘Then I use a variety of oxides and underglazes - mixing my own colors - to paint the surface.’
- ‘Using underglazes, teenagers draw compositions on plaster slabs, and slip is then poured over the designs.’
- ‘The pieces were bisque fired and decorated with underglazes then fired again with a gloss glaze, but the project can be adapted to use acrylics.’
- ‘The designs are put on either with an underglaze, a sort of drawing technique, or overglaze, which is more like montage.’
- ‘I learned to clean greenware and to use ceramic tools; I learned to use underglazes and stains; I learned about firing and some basics about underglazes and glazes.’
- ‘He works on a plaster slab, drawing with commercial underglazes in reverse.’
- ‘Using underglazes produces a semi-authentic experience, but allows students a greater range of colors.’
- ‘When the tile is finished and the underglazes are thoroughly dry, apply two to three coats of clear glaze.’
- ‘After the outline image is completely dry, students use a selection of underglazes to color in the areas using small, fine brushes.’
- ‘It can take several layers of thick underglaze to get the effects I want.’
- ‘The camp uses about 2,450 pounds of clay and about thirty-six pints of assorted glazes and underglazes during a season.’
- ‘My students used underglazes to paint their pieces.’
- ‘After the underglaze was fired on, the boxes were glazed and fired again.’
- ‘The clay frames were later bisque-fired and the students applied a gray-green velvet underglaze to them.’
- ‘The large vases, jars, and bowls displayed are all richly decorated with delicate and elaborate blue underglazes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.