One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The purchase of goods and services at a level lower than that of their supply.
- ‘These constraints can best be explained and understood by examining what Wallerstein regards as one of the main contradictions confronting the capitalist system, the crisis of underconsumption.’
- ‘Thus it appears that the crisis is one of underconsumption - the lack of demand.’
- ‘And he developed an elaborate theory of crises of overproduction and underconsumption that became the mainstay of the economic theory of his followers.’
- ‘The latter, they said, also creamed off part of ‘surplus value,’ and so created the conditions for underconsumption.’
- ‘The model, which seeks to offset underconsumption in the private sector by increased public sector spending, was destined to failure precisely because it ignored land speculation.’
- ‘Like the administration, Chase thought much about the twin evils of overproduction and underconsumption.’
- ‘This is one way of resolving the seeming paradox in Malthus's work between warnings of over-population and a fear of underconsumption.’
- ‘As capitalists cut wages to sustain profits in the face of ever more severe competition, they must reduce the capacity of workers to buy their products, leading to a crisis of underconsumption.’
- ‘Brenner's distinctive contribution is to sketch out the specific dynamics and consequences of overproduction or underconsumption in the era of integrated, globalized production and markets.’
- ‘With old underconsumption tendencies and financial instabilities now spread across previously insulated economies, that old Keynesian spender-of-last resort function has not gone away.’
- ‘In terms of his own theory, he does not see the possibility of redistribution of income and wealth, via public appropriation of rents, as having a remedial effect on periodic oversaving and underconsumption.’
- ‘Some analysts think these measures are already starting to alleviate underconsumption.’
- ‘The economic collapse of the 1930s appeared to liberals to validate the earlier concerns about underconsumption, while business saw overproduction as the more serious problem.’
- ‘Searching for an alternative program, Roosevelt embraced the ideas of advisers who believed that the fundamental problem of the Great Depression was underconsumption.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.