One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Clothing worn under other clothes, typically next to the skin.
- ‘He also picked up a small scrap of cloth, cloth that looked like it came from her underclothing.’
- ‘She was awake by the morning, wearing nothing but her underclothing.’
- ‘The following items are needed: Warm socks, vests, underwear, toiletries Christmas cakes, boxes of biscuits, sweets, warm underclothing for men and warm blankets.’
- ‘Some changed back into their uniform jumpsuits, but most just stayed in their underclothing.’
- ‘I changed quickly, but my lightweight approach to the expedition meant that the underclothing I wore for the cave was also my warm clothes for the surface, only now they were wet!’
- ‘There must have been an impression at the time though that what was happening was improper because she refused to remove her underclothing.’
- ‘Which was when I realized I was dressed merely in my underclothing and standing before a strange, sputtering man I had never before seen in my life.’
- ‘Andy blushed too, upon the sight of her, but Justin did not seem to notice, nor care that his wife was seeing another man in underclothing.’
- ‘With a sigh, she folded up her last piece of underclothing, and then hung up her last two dresses in the closet.’
- ‘She much preferred her breeches or underclothing to the stiff dresses she wore at home.’
- ‘I doubt that underclothing is something I could borrow from my boss.’
- ‘She helps Sarah into fresh underclothing and a clean robe.’
- ‘She was in her underclothing when Giselda slipped on the gown.’
- ‘It's not like you'll be able to walk down to the corner store if you need a change of underclothing.’
- ‘Not a good day at all… she looked down and realized she was in just her underclothing.’
- ‘What would people think in Emergency if you arrived with tattered underclothing?’
- ‘She stopped in the road, excavated her wallet from her underclothing, removed the wadded bill of sale, and tore the parchment into small bits, scattering them over the roadside grass.’
- ‘Our Holly is wearing her underclothing over her outerclothing!’
- ‘He also showed me some silk underclothing.’
- ‘I shook my head and began scrubbing myself with the wax, occasionally pushing the underclothing out of the way.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.