One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A handhold that faces down the rock face.
- ‘About 2.5 feet below and 8 inches to the left of the undercling is a good positive tiny foothold which is hard to see if you don't know it's there.’
- ‘Go up past an undercling to finish by a thin crack.’
- ‘Position underclings - holds you use palm-up - down low for challenging sit-start problems, and attach plenty of buckets - big, grabby holds - at the tops so your routes have a variety of finishing positions to choose from.’
- ‘Another move up, the incut pocket now worked into an undercling, and that's leg-breaking territory.’
Climb using undercling handholds.
- ‘I then stretched my feet out to very thin feet on the face and underclung under the roof for hands and began to explore my options for moving left.’
- ‘For the last few moves, you walk your feet up the diagonal crack while underclinging at the same time.’
- ‘He seemed to have a magnetic attraction to underclinging any overlap he came across.’
- ‘He climbed up to a small roof and underclung the crack under it.’
- ‘The crux section involves underclinging the fist size crack in the roof and traversing left on small foot matches and around the corner onto a precarious ledge.’
- ‘It starts out with about 12 metres of underclinging left along the bottom of the flake which gradually gets thinner until finally it peters out to almost nothing.’
- ‘To do this, try underclinging the pocket at the base of the roof.’
- ‘In extreme situations you may even need to use a foot smear to oppose the underclinging hand.’
- ‘The crux involved some fancy footwork into a broad horizontal crack while underclinging with the left and searching desperately for a right hand.’
- ‘I underclung the chockstone with my left tool and torqued it (which tweaked my left elbow badly and it still hurts), then searched for a right tool placement.’
- ‘Instead, try to put holds in unusual positions so that you need to climb by laybacking, sidepulling, underclinging, backstepping, and generally moving your body into interesting positions.’
- ‘A bit of ferocious underclinging allowed me to poke my spare hand into the high crack.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.