One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Being discussed or disputed.
- ‘The exact details of these studies are under debate, but there is a consensus that the Earth formed about 4.6 billion years ago and that life began within the first billion years.’
- ‘There's a controversial proposal under debate in New York City now that would give non-citizens a protected privilege of American citizenship, the right to vote.’
- ‘The new act, which is currently under debate, gives landlords the opportunity to catch up on rent increases not administered in the past three years without having to go through arbitration.’
- ‘Can I ask the Leader of the Opposition to stick to the matter under debate?’
- ‘But just what constitutes success is still under debate.’
- ‘Fisher's theory is just one of several hypotheses under debate today.’
- ‘One of the key policy discussions currently under debate is research on embryonic stem-cells.’
- ‘The working time directive which was under debate last week prevents employers from employing workers to work more than 48 hours per week.’
- ‘Plans to radically shake up local government and to divide the country into elected regional assemblies are currently under debate.’
- ‘The Commission is yet to come up with a final report, since the current document under debate is a draft document.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.