Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not defiled; pure.
virtuous, moral, ethical, good, righteous, angelic, saintly, pious, honourable, reputable, wholesome, clean, honest, upright, upstanding, exemplary, above reproach, irreproachable, innocentView synonyms
- ‘He seemed so tranquil and his features were so soft and undefiled.’
- ‘There they found that they could light the Menorah for only one day, due to a lack of undefiled oil.’
- ‘When the subways were cleaned up, people felt better; they could get to work rumpled but undefiled.’
- ‘It is for them a symbol of purity, undefiled despite its muddy origin.’
- ‘Oh, no, Ember only pretended to make out with Cale, so her lips are still undefiled.’
- ‘However, about 80 percent of the Canadian boreal forest is still undefiled.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.