One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not publicly announced, admitted, or acknowledged.‘his undeclared candidacy, which surged in the polls last spring’
uncommitted, undecided, in two minds, torn, split, uncertain, unsure, wavering, vacillating, indecisive, in a quandary, in a dilemma, in doubtView synonyms
- ‘And although it's known that the county lost men in the undeclared wars after that, it's not clear how many.’
- ‘Now the war is undeclared, but in the future it may come.’
- ‘He took no notice, having quickly come to realise that such near-death experiences were a daily occurrence in central London, where car drivers and cyclists lived in a permanent state of undeclared war.’
- 1.1 (especially of taxable income or dutiable goods) not declared.
unstated, unexpressed, unuttered, unsaid, unmentioned, unvoiced, unarticulated, unavowed, not spelt out, mute, silent, wordless, voicelessView synonyms
- ‘If that happened today, the money would have to be declared as a gift and she would have been charged interest and penalties for her undeclared income over the years.’
- ‘Mr. Murphy's hefty payment was in settlement for undeclared income tax.’
- ‘The Revenue has given individuals, who put undeclared income in insurance products to come forward and make a voluntary settlement within the next six weeks.’
- ‘The IRS is also cranky about undeclared income.’
- ‘That should mean an end to the culture of undeclared income that has permeated much of the sector.’
- ‘Furthermore, she testified the petitioner had always been one to work in their garage at home and was capable of earning undeclared income from his skills as an automotive service technician.’
- ‘A source close to them said they would vigorously dispute any suggestion of reckless or fraudulent trading, excessive expenditure, mismanagement or undeclared income.’
- ‘The inspector will make an assessment of the full tax, interest and penalties due in respect of the undeclared income.’
- ‘It can also source undeclared rental income on these properties.’
- ‘Separately, a senior tax inspector has been attending overseas property fairs in Dublin to find out if Irish customers are using undeclared cash to buy holiday homes in the sun.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.