One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not cooked; raw.
- ‘Cooked and uncooked foods should be kept clearly apart.’
- ‘An uncooked goose would cost 6 pence - about a day's wages.’
- ‘But Ewen is worried that genes in uncooked GM fruit and vegetables could survive common stomach infections.’
- ‘Use of alcohol in food can be divided very roughly into two categories: cooked or uncooked.’
- ‘Quality and style are particularly important when the wine is uncooked or one of only a few, fairly delicate ingredients.’
- ‘The green and white speckled ones are meant to be eaten raw, like radishes, though they taste like uncooked dough to me.’
- ‘Any food that contains uncooked eggs, such as homemade cookie dough, cake batter or eggnog, can pose a hazard.’
- ‘The pastry is uncooked and the filling is decidedly insipid.’
- ‘Place 1/2 cup uncooked rice in a small plastic bag (a sandwich bag works fine).’
- ‘Good common sense when handling uncooked and cooked food is required to prevent food poisoning.’
- ‘The bacterium is most commonly found in uncooked minced beef.’
- ‘The organism thrives in the soil, and is transmitted to humans via uncooked or poorly cooked meat and through house cats.’
- ‘In Philadelphia style ice cream, the ingredients are often uncooked.’
- ‘The nose is soft and warm with touches of mushroom and uncooked dough.’
- ‘This recipe makes play dough that is not grainy like uncooked play dough and keeps for a long time.’
- ‘Berries should be cooked, as the consumption of uncooked berries or juice can result in vomiting and diarrhea.’
- ‘Care must be taken with uncooked foods, including salads and fruit and vegetables (unless they are peeled by you).’
- ‘I end up eating way too much of the uncooked dough and I get a stomach ache every year.’
- ‘For instance did you know that an uncooked marinade should never be reused?’
- ‘But then the server rushed back to tell me he'd been wrong and that it was designed to be hot but he could do it with regular uncooked smoked salmon for me.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.