Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not cooked; raw.
uncooked, freshView synonyms
- ‘The organism thrives in the soil, and is transmitted to humans via uncooked or poorly cooked meat and through house cats.’
- ‘The bacterium is most commonly found in uncooked minced beef.’
- ‘An uncooked goose would cost 6 pence - about a day's wages.’
- ‘Good common sense when handling uncooked and cooked food is required to prevent food poisoning.’
- ‘The green and white speckled ones are meant to be eaten raw, like radishes, though they taste like uncooked dough to me.’
- ‘Use of alcohol in food can be divided very roughly into two categories: cooked or uncooked.’
- ‘This recipe makes play dough that is not grainy like uncooked play dough and keeps for a long time.’
- ‘The nose is soft and warm with touches of mushroom and uncooked dough.’
- ‘Care must be taken with uncooked foods, including salads and fruit and vegetables (unless they are peeled by you).’
- ‘Place 1/2 cup uncooked rice in a small plastic bag (a sandwich bag works fine).’
- ‘For instance did you know that an uncooked marinade should never be reused?’
- ‘Cooked and uncooked foods should be kept clearly apart.’
- ‘Any food that contains uncooked eggs, such as homemade cookie dough, cake batter or eggnog, can pose a hazard.’
- ‘The pastry is uncooked and the filling is decidedly insipid.’
- ‘But Ewen is worried that genes in uncooked GM fruit and vegetables could survive common stomach infections.’
- ‘Quality and style are particularly important when the wine is uncooked or one of only a few, fairly delicate ingredients.’
- ‘I end up eating way too much of the uncooked dough and I get a stomach ache every year.’
- ‘Berries should be cooked, as the consumption of uncooked berries or juice can result in vomiting and diarrhea.’
- ‘In Philadelphia style ice cream, the ingredients are often uncooked.’
- ‘But then the server rushed back to tell me he'd been wrong and that it was designed to be hot but he could do it with regular uncooked smoked salmon for me.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.