One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not covered with a coating of a particular substance.
- ‘Point being that positive attributes we see in design elements like Gotham and uncoated paper zoom obliviously past people's heads.’
- ‘We only make uncoated papers at our two mills, so the trend away from coated papers is clearly working in our favour.’
- ‘To make a calotype, uncoated sheets of writing paper are covered with a silver nitrate solution, dried and then dipped in potassium iodide to make silver iodide.’
- ‘The second highest lung burden of uncoated fibers (12,908,314 fibers/g dry weight) occurred in an individual with pleural mesothelioma.’
- ‘Since platinum prints are made on uncoated fine art papers (such as watercolor paper), the image is embedded in the fibers resulting in a softer, more painterly look than other black-and-white processes provide.’
- ‘Soot was studied uncoated using an S3000N Hitachi variable pressure SEM.’
- ‘The samples were examined uncoated with a gaseous secondary electron detector within a water vaporous environment.’
- ‘Taking the car again as an example: uncoated cars would last only a year or two before rust rendered them unsightly and unsafe.’
- ‘The researchers tested several permutations of the lubricant system: an uncoated AFM tip on an uncoated silicate surface, coated tip on bare surface, bare tip on coated surface, and both surfaces coated.’
- ‘The Raman laser optical cavity was formed by coating one of the waveguide facets with a multilayer coating, while leaving the other facet uncoated.’
- ‘They were printed on uncoated, yellowed paper and the style of illustration was very old fashioned and maybe a bit suburban.’
- ‘For the abaxially coated leaves of Hedera helix the leaf drying curve also exhibits a point of inflection, though the initial decline of the transpiration rate is not as pronounced as for the uncoated leaves.’
- ‘This allowed uncoated specimens to be examined and elemental distributions to be determined using an energy dispersive X-ray microanalyser.’
- ‘Then take it out and put the uncoated side into the egg mixture.’
- ‘The consumption of uncoated free-sheet paper, for instance - the most common kind of office paper - rose almost fifteen per cent in the United States between 1995 and 2000.’
- ‘The lower wells were covered with uncoated 8-m pore-size polycarbonate membrane filters before assembly of the chambers.’
- ‘An uncoated lancet was used as the negative control.’
- ‘To address this, the motions of BSA-coated and uncoated particles were compared with 3% polyethylene oxide, which has a modulus comparable with cross-linked F-actin.’
- ‘This coating absorbs 10-60% of reflection more than uncoated lenses.’
- ‘Low temperature, low voltage scanning electron microscopy of uncoated pollen grains was performed as described previously.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.