Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not spread or coated with butter.‘a meal of weak tea and unbuttered toast’
unbuttered, plain, butterlessView synonyms
- ‘Brush half of each roll's top with melted butter and fold the unbuttered half over it.’
- ‘He's had crackers, unbuttered popcorn, Gatorade and chicken soup and has kept it all down.’
- ‘In a film that feels as light as unbuttered popcorn, is there a reflexive critique somewhere about American culture?’
- ‘The restaurant critic also noted the unbuttered frozen peas that were cold and the vapid vichyssoise that tasted commercially made.’
- ‘It would have been rude not to have eaten one, and I've ended up bringing my unbuttered bagel home with me this evening.’
- ‘Pour and scrape the batter into an unbuttered 8-inch square pan.’
- ‘The bacon roll was a dry and miserable item, unbuttered and containing a single rasher.’
- ‘I wanted my baguette roll unbuttered.’
- ‘If you feel the urge to eat between meals, choose a low-fat, low-calorie food, such as fresh fruit, pretzels or unbuttered popcorn.’
- ‘For breakfast, they received two slices of bread, unbuttered, and a choice of coffee or tea.’
- ‘A side of unbuttered corn on the cob provides complex carbohydrates as well as antioxidants.’
- ‘Unless the recipe says so, bake cookies on an ungreased or unbuttered baking sheet.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.