Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Market or charge for (items or services) separately rather than as part of a package.
- ‘But it was forced to drop the WebPC price to $799 in Spring - partly by unbundling the Internet service, and last month quietly shelved the idea.’
- ‘OEMs aren't in a position to unbundle Windows service packs even if they wanted to.’
- ‘Initially, unbundled wholesale services will be available in Bristol, Warrington and Leeds with a further 27 exchanges being deployed between now and the beginning of next year.’
- ‘If ever there was a good reason for Telecom NZ to unbundle its local loop service and offer it to competitors, this is it.’
- ‘Some 385 businesses now have unbundled services from Easynet.’
2Split (a company or conglomerate) into its constituent businesses, especially before selling them off.
- ‘Building on the integrated e-business infrastructure, companies unbundle operations, outsource noncritical activities, and create supply chain communities.’
- ‘Large firms engage in outsourcing, subcontracting, and unbundling as a business strategy to spread their risks and in the process small firms emerge and develop.’
- ‘Speculation that Centrica was planning to unbundle its telecoms business surfaced at the weekend with reports suggesting that the company had already been contacted by potential buyers.’
- ‘It has instituted billing by which a subscriber has the right to receive a single bill even if it uses the services provided by several unbundled telecom companies.’
- ‘It is generally the case that if the stock market identifies an easy value increasing option, such as selling out to a hostile bidder or unbundling the businesses, then under-performing managements will be punished.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.