Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of paper or cloth) not made whiter or lighter by a chemical process.‘unbleached cotton’
unprocessed, organic, pure, wholesome, unrefined, pesticide-free, chemical-free, additive-free, unbleached, unmixed, real, plain, virgin, crude, rawView synonyms
- ‘Buy organic produce, unbleached paper products and greener cleaners; skip weed killer and bug sprays.’
- ‘These are pieces of unbleached paper backed with a vegetable-based adhesive which you stick over facial lines.’
- ‘The paper cartons are now being manufactured using unbleached paper, as chlorine bleaches can cause toxic water pollution.’
- ‘Look for organic, unbleached, untreated cotton.’
- ‘Pour liqueur through a fine strainer or unbleached muslin cloth.’
- ‘On each cookie there was an ingredient list that was contained items as peculiar and exotic as ‘Organic unbleached flour’, ‘Eggs’ and ‘cane sugar’.’
- ‘Tie the duck breasts with unbleached cotton string.’
- ‘Kraft pulp is still used, in bleached and unbleached forms, for such products as paper bags, milk cartons, and paper cups.’
- ‘Add 1 cup water and 1.25 cups unbleached white flour to 2 cups starter.’
- ‘The bedding comes from organically grown, unbleached cotton and pure wool and is free of dyes.’
- ‘A tightly woven unbleached cotton curtain, still a significant ecological step above vinyl, can be purchased from fellow retailer Planet Natural for only $31.95.’
- ‘Alan works primarily with whole wheat flours, but Steve prefers a blend of an organic unbleached flour and an organic hard winter wheat he grinds himself.’
- ‘Stonyfield added a ninth flavor, Creme Caramel, and made the switch from plastic to lightweight, unbleached paper pints bearing new, bolder graphics.’
- ‘Re-strain through fine wire mesh or unbleached muslin cloth.’
- ‘If, for example, much of your net worth were invested in McDonald's, you'd be unlikely to protest a new store opening in your neighborhood of be as eager for the company to use unbleached paper if it impacted earnings.’
- ‘In those days, the LibDems were (in the nicest possible way) regarded as slightly woolly and synonymous with wholemeal bread and unbleached linen.’
- ‘The compost consisted of the EarthShell plates and bowls, unbleached paper napkins, fiber trays, biodegradable trash bags, and food from a federal agency's cafeteria, plus leaves and grass clippings.’
- ‘All-purpose, unbleached flour which blends hard and soft wheat is preferred over bleached flour because it rises more evenly and has a better flavor.’
- ‘Instead, you get 13 grams of protein but 41 grams of carbohydrate; not surprising, considering the first ingredient is unbleached enriched flour.’
- ‘Then I attempted to measure out 4 cups of unbleached all purpose white flour.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.