One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Someone who has no religious beliefs, or who does not follow a particular religion.
infidel, heretic, heathen, non-believer, atheist, non-theist, agnostic, pagan, nihilist, apostate, freethinker, dissenter, nonconformistView synonyms
- ‘We plan evangelistic services and events for unbelievers; worship services are for believers.’
- ‘I am English, born in Britain, but I am referred to as a heretic, unbeliever, infidel, etc., because I am a Pagan.’
- ‘We have already been irrevocably tarred with the stain of sinner, unbeliever and infidel.’
- ‘In short, they held a place between heretic and unbeliever.’
- ‘So you priests better be careful with all that talk about the sinners and the unbelievers and heretics burning in hell.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.