Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove a ban on (a person, group, or activity)
- ‘Banned or unbanned, members of the banned parties know one another, they can meet anywhere.’
- ‘And to make the fifth major point banning GM crops and unbanning vitamin supplements is basically a joke.’
- ‘After all, the ANC had been unbanned for more than a year and talks between the two sides were well under way.’
- ‘Perhaps he'll be unbanned now, although we doubt it.’
- ‘And why should Reg readers have to actively seek permission from their IT departments to have us unbanned?’
- ‘In 1990 the ANC was unbanned, Nelson Mandela freed and the country set on a path towards democratic government.’
- ‘We must unban the African National Congress, the Communist Party, Nkuda Wasusi, the PAC.’
- ‘On Network Nine's Sunday program on June 16 he unbanned him under tough questioning.’
- ‘If anyone else is having trouble posting messages let me know, and I'll unban some of the ip addresses.’
- ‘Black political organizations were unbanned in February, the ANC leader Nelson Mandela was released from jail, and in March the Ciskei homeland government collapsed.’
- ‘Leaders of the African National Congress, unbanned by President FW de Klerk, were still in exile.’
- ‘People should note that the democratic process in the country did not stop in 1990 when political organisations were unbanned or with the 1994 elections, Holomisa said.’
- ‘He rejoined the ANC after its unbanning and in 1994 became one of the party's senators in the then-upper house of the new democratic Parliament alongside the late Govan Mbeki in 1994.’
- ‘If you feel you've been banned unfairly, just drop me a note and if you promise to keep the debate at a more elevated level, I'll be happy to unban you.’
- ‘So when political organisations were unbanned in 1990, I joined the ANC and was elected the first provincial president of the ANC Women's League.’
- ‘A year later, in February 1990, the South African government released Nelson Mandela and unbanned the African National Congress and the other liberation movements in South Africa.’
- ‘Unfortunately, many contaminants remain unbanned, and an average of seven new chemicals are put on the market daily, most of them not tested for toxicity.’
- ‘Certainly the unbanning of the ANC was not anticipated.’
- ‘Of these, 5 695 happened between 1990 and 1994-between the time President FW de Klerk unbanned the liberation movements and the first democratic elections.’
- ‘Even if you remove the mod chip, he said, your machine cannot be unbanned, as it's Microsoft's belief that it can never be seen as trustworthy again.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.