One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not made or done in a way that reflects tradition or faithfully resembles an original.
- ‘Most of the published quotes attributed to Morihei Ueshiba have an unauthentic ring to them.’
- ‘The Color Purple was a failure, a thin, unauthentic film - and its creator seemed bewildered.’
- ‘A wise editor recently suggested to me that Americans sense that ‘organized’ religion is unauthentic.’
- ‘The kilt inevitably comes off, with unremarkable, and allegedly unauthentic, results.’
- ‘So they were unauthentic and resisted in passive ways.’
- ‘Some thought was given to the possibility of creating artificial cobwebs, but it was decided that it would be impractical and unauthentic in a museum which prides itself on its authenticity.’
- ‘However since the tapes have now been declared unauthentic and fabricated, she has filed a defamation case against the tabloid.’
- ‘However, some people have invented some special rituals or practices in this month, which are not supported by reliable resources of the Shari'ah or are based on some unauthentic traditions.’
- ‘All subsequent war has been subsumed in a rite which we know to be unauthentic.’
- ‘You wonder at the judgement of God that such unauthentic, crass, impudent lies not only lived, but prevailed for so many centuries.’
- ‘The single strand of evidence that is accepted as authentic often turns out to fit all too neatly a particular theory which is being advanced; inconvenient evidence is set aside as unauthentic.’
- ‘The process of separating some of these elements, which are then related to new contexts, is perceived as spurious and unauthentic.’
- ‘Certain religious expressions may be designated as divergent, popular, unauthentic, trendy and so on, by whoever holds the power to define what is right and wrong, genuine or spurious.’
- ‘DeMille-the-Christian-artist was not being overly zealous, perverse or unauthentic here.’
- ‘To continue this unnatural, unauthentic, and destructive behavior, men and women must lie to themselves.’
- ‘Within this student-generated text, reading and writing instruction is presented naturally, unlike the unauthentic dialogues found in the typical beginner's foreign language book.’
- ‘Did they think that a movie about Russia would be somehow unauthentic if the characters sounded like, you know, Russians?’
- ‘Henry proposes that, far from being commodified, unauthentic representations, such tourist performances ‘open up’ for Aboriginal people a means for exploring different possibilities of being.’
- ‘He wrote that the fascination of sexuality in a negative form has long been a feature of Christianity and that the crucifix had been rendered unauthentic by this negative sexual mindset.’
- ‘When we got the first hint that there might be something unauthentic about this story or the reporter's background, we went to general quarters and investigated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.