Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not allocated, assigned, or taken into possession.‘vacant and unappropriated land’
- ‘We are validating unappropriated expenses incurred by the Department of Conservation of $93.5 million for the financial year ended 30 June 2002, whose total expenditure was $201 million.’
- ‘If the payment to Mr Butler is unappropriated, then it has to be refunded.’
- ‘In such case he is saying that since there is no unappropriated land available there can be no ‘natural’ wage, or at least it cannot be measured by the method George suggests.’
- ‘This means that no one is permitted to become the first user of a previously undiscovered and unappropriated physical entity.’
- ‘But where do the unappropriated funds come from?’
- ‘In addition the Reconstruction and Development Programme Fund also shows unappropriated funds of R997,3 million.’
- ‘The drawback to this approach is that it leaves large amounts of scripture and tradition at the heart of Christian faith unappropriated.’
- ‘The second point is that in situations where it is needed there is no unappropriated land available.’
- ‘Such making is not absorption, does not incur other languages, exports little but the traveler's shoestring budget, imports only what self can be limned, unappropriated, in the discipline of knowledge and generous attention.’
- ‘Without the act of exteriorizing the private sphere, identity negotiations at borders, within and without, do not actualize, intracommunal links are not forged, and the ideal of the universal man remains unappropriated.’
- ‘Recall that Ponge's things remain unappropriated: Ponge does not preside over them, has no claim on them.’
- ‘Hence it follows that where workers are without access to unappropriated land - where, for example, all land is monopolized - competition for employment among workers forces their wages down to the minimum subsistence level.’
- ‘If the original Lease Price does not exceed the Lease Price payable by the incoming lessee, the outgoing Lessee would receive a refund of the Lease Deposit plus any unappropriated amount of the Total Rent.’
- ‘‘The right to appropriate the unappropriated waters of the natural streams of the state for beneficial use in order of priority shall never be denied,’ the settlers wrote.’
- ‘It is the nucleus afforded by a vast and unappropriated country for the establishment and growth of political and religious minorities transplanted from ancient states and hierarchies.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.