One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to emphasize that something has happened on many other occasions.‘she checked her watch for the umpteenth time’‘Totti swung his umpteenth corner into Scotland's box’
- ‘After the umpteenth false start and the gazillionth freaky camera angle, it becomes apparent there's time to nap between things that happen that mean something.’
- ‘Microsoft's latest offering is the umpteenth overhaul of MSN, which has been bleeding money for eight years.’
- ‘Pity John Williams writing his umpteenth Star Wars score.’
- ‘Blade doesn't have a sense of humour and after the umpteenth battle, you wish he had.’
- ‘Everything you need to know about him is neatly encapsulated in the photographs that cover the sleeve of his umpteenth album.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.