Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Indefinitely many; a lot of.‘you need umpteen pieces of identification to cash a check’
numerous, a good deal of, a great deal of, a lot of, a great number of, a large number of, great quantities of, plenty of, countless, innumerable, scores of, crowds of, droves of, an army of, a horde of, a multitude of, a multiplicity of, multitudinous, numberless, multiple, untoldView synonyms
- ‘He's got the message that you dig him because you've told his buds umpteen times, and they've told him.’
- ‘There was so much more that could have been done in the hour that wasn't, and so much fillery stuff in there as well, such as umpteen shots of the kids walking around the streets.’
- ‘There are umpteen restaurants mushrooming, but of what quality?’
- ‘I am not at liberty to say what the plans are, and in any case they have to go through umpteen stages yet, but I was quite delighted by the vision being presented.’
- ‘The umpteen four-wheelers and six-wheelers maintained by the institutions cater to the needs of students.’
- ‘Every cliche about Inuit language - 347 words for snow, umpteen more for ice - is both true and beside the point.’
- ‘It ought to be obvious that if Westbury is to have any traffic relief, it has to be by other than an umpteen million pound environmentally-damaging bypass.’
- ‘An umpteen number of muscular men and women would have performed such a feat.’
- ‘I couldn't hear them sing, because this was a sports bar, with umpteen televisions and customer's, all you can do is watch.’
- ‘There have been umpteen reports of the meat-eating deer.’
- ‘It was interesting to see his vulnerable side. I read his novel, The Rum Diary, which he worked on for umpteen years.’
- ‘From medicated oil massage to steam therapy, there are umpteen methods of proven treatments to cure different ailments.’
- ‘You've filled in umpteen blanks and chosen your super favorites and guessed at the answers you didn't know.’
- ‘I must have passed it umpteen times, and never noticed it!’
- ‘The game also illustrated genuine pace from Parks when making umpteen breaks, before knocking Ronan O'Gara backwards in a tackle.’
- ‘The reason is the presence of umpteen causeways and bridges.’
- ‘I've seen the first one umpteen times and still love it.’
- ‘According to the housing officer, he has laid out umpteen stalls.’
- ‘The umpteen assignments he had signed up do not annoy him.’
- ‘But I do believe in life sentences with life meaning life, not just ten years inside, with umpteen reductions for good behaviour.’
Early 20th century: humorous formation based on -teen.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.