One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two small trees or shrubs with leaves or leaflets arranged in umbrellalike whorls.
- ‘The poster-calendar features 24 of the most harmful environmental weeds, including wandering jew, camphor laurel, orange jessamine, umbrella tree, asparagus fern and morning glory.’
- ‘The Queensland umbrella tree is a versatile plant that works well in areas with little light - Carter suggests placing them in front of or actually inside a fireplace as a focal point.’
- ‘School wasn't very far away, and it wasn't long before he parked the car in his usual spot, under the big umbrella tree.’
- ‘Tulip tree, American beech, sugar maple, umbrella tree, and cucumber tree dominate here.’
- ‘Moist woodland on the lower mountain slopes and extending down to streams that meander in the valleys contains tulip poplar, sweet gum, and umbrella tree (a magnolia).’
umbrella tree/ˌəmˈbrelə trē/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.