One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tropical Old World sedge that has stiff green stems, each terminating in a whorl of arching green leaflike bracts. It is commonly grown as a houseplant.
- ‘The Umbrella plant got its name from the green bracts that form atop its long stems.’
- ‘Schefflera arboricola also known as the dwarf umbrella tree or Hawaiian dwarf umbrella is the little brother to the old time umbrella plant.’
- ‘It is known as the umbrella plant but I find it more reminiscent of a fireworks explosion.’
- ‘Add a small water plant (such as a dwarf umbrella plant) in a bonsai dish, rocks, a submersible pump, and a bamboo spout that's a variation of the traditional Japanese deer scarer, or shishi odoshi (often sold at nurseries).’
- ‘Another moisture loving perennial at Glin is Darmera Peltata, commonly known as the umbrella plant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.