A large tropical American cotinga with black plumage, a radiating crest, and typically long wattles.
- ‘I have seen several of the large, all black umbrellabirds flying across a large river.’
- ‘We saw iguanas, toucans, blue-and-yellow macaws, green parrots, yellow - rumped caciques, horned screamers, umbrellabirds and hoatzins along flooded areas and riverbanks.’
- ‘The Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve in Costa Rica is famous among birders for resplendent quetzals, umbrellabirds, cotingas, other rare birds… and wet weather.’
- ‘I have been told that the umbrellabirds tend to approach more open areas during the rainy season when the palms fruit.’
- ‘Three-wattled bellbirds and bare-necked umbrellabirds migrate seasonally to this region.’