One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The umbral phase of the eclipse lasts less than an hour.’
- ‘The event is a moderate partial eclipse with the Moon's northern limb dipping 15 arc-minutes into Earth's umbral shadow.’
- ‘The Moon's trajectory takes it deep into the northern umbral shadow resulting in a total eclipse which lasts 1 hour 21 minutes.’
- ‘Further to the east and the west the observers are a few thousand miles more distant, putting them beyond the vertex of the umbral cone, so that they witness only an annular eclipse.’
- ‘The Moon's dark umbral shadow follows a narrow path beginning at local sunrise over the South Atlantic, crosses southern Africa and the Indian Ocean, and ends at local sunset over southern Australia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.