One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘I am umbilically attached to my dictionary because my spelling is so bad.’
- ‘And the town of Palo Alto, which is umbilically joined to Stanford University, is home to an insatiable batch of venture capital billionaires, most with no thoughts of retirement.’
- ‘They're obsessed with it, they're umbilically connected to it.’
- ‘Ian Rankin has spent much of his life outside Scotland, but his Inspector Rebus novels are as umbilically linked to Edinburgh as Walter Scott's Waverley novels are informed by Scottish history.’
- ‘And it is not until you suffer from a decent, full-blooded, no-holds-barred total blackout that you realise just how much your way of life is umbilically plugged in to electricity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.