One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lamp with a bulb that produces ultraviolet light.
- ‘Chow said that SARS has rescued a few poor-performing traditional manufacturers including Taiwan Fluorescent Lamp Co, whose ultraviolet lamps boast virus-killing capability and have been selling well recently.’
- ‘Other suggestions included supplying waterless hand sanitizers, germ-killing paper towels and facial tissues, and antimicrobial soaps and installing ultraviolet lamps in ventilation systems to kill germs and disinfect the air.’
- ‘Reflection or ultraviolet lamps have no effect.’
- ‘After they're printed, the parts are touched up, trimmed of excessive supporting material, and put under an ultraviolet lamp for further hardening.’
- ‘These ultraviolet lamps make nits glow in the dark.’
- ‘For the ball-only condition, the lights of the darkroom were also turned off and the interior of the shooting room was lighted by the ultraviolet lamp.’
- ‘However, when the shooting room was lighted by the ultraviolet lamp and the lights in the darkroom were turned off, the participant could see only the incoming ball (ball-only condition).’
- ‘We put higher-powered ultraviolet lamps in the Anthrax-killing device, so more hydroxyl radicals are produced, giving it an extra kick.’
- ‘The crickets had all been marked with small spots of fluorescent paint on the pronota and hind femora so that they could be more easily spotted at night by using a portable ultraviolet lamp.’
- ‘The salinity of the water was also tested while ultraviolet lamps were used in accordance with government instructions.’
- ‘An ultraviolet lamp that kills spores and other bacteria can be added to the air handling system, but indoor air experts including Shaughnessey question its effectiveness.’
- ‘Once the droplet assumes the desired form, a few minutes under an ultraviolet lamp polymerizes the liquid into a hard lens.’
- ‘Basal, using an ultraviolet lamp at night on the dumps, also reports finding scheelite as anhedral blebs.’
- ‘Montgomery cited the following tools useful to the collector or curator: a magnifying glass, camera, microscope, ultraviolet lamp, and occasionally access to X-ray apparatus.’
- ‘Anhedral specks, grains, and nuggets can be found with no difficulty, particularly at night with an ultraviolet lamp.’
- ‘Phospholipids were visualized under ultraviolet lamp, after spraying with 2 - (p-toluidinyl) naphthylene - 6-sulfonic acid.’
- ‘Running them in quartz glassware next to your ultraviolet lamp is one extreme, since quartz lets it all through and spares not.’
- ‘The inside of the shooting room could be illuminated with a 60-watt incandescent lamp or a 40-watt ultraviolet lamp.’
- ‘Walker's Minerals was a favorite, and there he purchased his first mineral specimens, a Clay Center fluorite and an Arkansas wavellite, as well as an ultraviolet lamp and a rock hammer.’
- ‘Newer models of heating and cooling systems feature ultraviolet lamps that destroy harmful mold, fungi and bacteria.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.