Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting igneous rocks composed chiefly of mafic minerals.Compare with ultrabasic
- ‘Both Wadi Sikait and Regal Ridge classify as Type I emerald deposits, where Be-bearing quartz or pegmatite veins from a granitic pluton intruded Cr- or V-bearing mafic or ultramafic rocks.’
- ‘The provenance of the feldspar-bearing Crocker Formation and younger sandstones indicates a granitic source character, which conflicts with the abundance of mafic and ultramafic basement rocks exposed throughout much of Sabah.’
- ‘Despite the attention it has received, however, the tectonic setting of the high grade mafic and ultramafic rocks of the Cabo Ortegal Complex has remained uncertain.’
- ‘Variably serpentinized Devonian mafic and ultramafic intrusive rocks occur in the western and northern parts of the map area.’
- ‘A major source of iron, called iron laterite, is a type of residual deposit generated by the intense weathering of iron-rich rocks such as mafic and ultramafic volcanic rocks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.