Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting a gland in the neck that in many lower vertebrates regulates the calcium level in the body.
- ‘The fourth pharyngeal pouch endoderm gives rise to superior parathyroid glands and the ultimobranchial body.’
- ‘The thyroid is characteristically U shaped and in contact with the ultimobranchial bodies which are still attached to the pharynx via a slim pedicle.’
- ‘In the posterior part of the body, the ultimobranchial gland ends at the same level as the head kidney.’
- ‘However, most of the cells which formed the cluster in the ultimobranchial body of snake were positive.’
- ‘Intrathyroidal lymphoepithelial cysts are benign lesions that are strongly associated with chronic inflammatory conditions of the thyroid, and which are probably derived from ultimobranchial body remnants.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.