Relating to or denoting a gland in the neck which in many lower vertebrates regulates the calcium level in the body.
- ‘The thyroid is characteristically U shaped and in contact with the ultimobranchial bodies which are still attached to the pharynx via a slim pedicle.’
- ‘Intrathyroidal lymphoepithelial cysts are benign lesions that are strongly associated with chronic inflammatory conditions of the thyroid, and which are probably derived from ultimobranchial body remnants.’
- ‘The fourth pharyngeal pouch endoderm gives rise to superior parathyroid glands and the ultimobranchial body.’
- ‘However, most of the cells which formed the cluster in the ultimobranchial body of snake were positive.’
- ‘In the posterior part of the body, the ultimobranchial gland ends at the same level as the head kidney.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.