One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting a gland in the neck which in many lower vertebrates regulates the calcium level in the body.
- ‘The fourth pharyngeal pouch endoderm gives rise to superior parathyroid glands and the ultimobranchial body.’
- ‘In the posterior part of the body, the ultimobranchial gland ends at the same level as the head kidney.’
- ‘The thyroid is characteristically U shaped and in contact with the ultimobranchial bodies which are still attached to the pharynx via a slim pedicle.’
- ‘Intrathyroidal lymphoepithelial cysts are benign lesions that are strongly associated with chronic inflammatory conditions of the thyroid, and which are probably derived from ultimobranchial body remnants.’
- ‘However, most of the cells which formed the cluster in the ultimobranchial body of snake were positive.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.