One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An auxiliary rocket engine used in weightless conditions to provide sufficient acceleration to maintain the flow of liquid propellant from the fuel tank.
- ‘The flight was aborted by premature ignition of ullage rockets on Agena, after which President Eisenhower conferred with Richard M. Bissell personally.’
- ‘This kit includes four integrally molded ullage rockets for Apollos 8 through 14, but they are positioned incorrectly.’
- ‘Eight ullage rocket motors located around the bottom of the second stage then fire for approximately 4 seconds to give positive acceleration to the stage prior to ignition of the five J - 2 engines.’
- ‘There are two jettisonable ullage rockets for propellant settling before engine ignition.’
- ‘At T + 60: 50 min one of 4 solid ullage rockets in 4th stage did not fire causing the stage to tumble.’
- ‘I also took the opportunity to mould the ullage rocket units, of which four appear on Apollo 11.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.