One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Develop into or become affected by an ulcer.
suppurative, ulcerative, festering, cankerous, cankeredView synonyms
- ‘The nodules and the papule on the affected finger began to ulcerate and produce a purulent discharge.’
- ‘The papule becomes pustular and ulcerates, producing an ulcer crater with colorless exudate.’
- ‘Following a two - to eight-week incubation period, papules develop that may ulcerate or evolve into abscesses.’
- ‘The vesicles rupture, and a painless, ulcerated, black eschar develops.’
- ‘These pruritic vesicular lesions appear as ‘dew drops on a rose petal,’ which may ulcerate and develop crusting.’
Late Middle English: from Latin ulcerat- ‘made ulcerous’, from the verb ulcerare.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.