One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An open sore on an external or internal surface of the body, caused by a break in the skin or mucous membrane that fails to heal.
sore, ulceration, open sore, abscess, boil, carbuncle, pustule, blister, cyst, gumboil, wenView synonyms
- ‘Its efficacy in superficial diabetic ulcers or ischemic diabetic ulcers has not been evaluated.’
- ‘This reduces the chance of getting pressure ulcers (bed sores) and of developing a deep vein thrombosis.’
- ‘If you receive the bacteria by injection, it can cause skin ulcers and regional swelling of lymph nodes.’
- ‘Like other chronic wounds, pressure ulcers fail to heal in a timely manner.’
- ‘They can give you stomach ulcers, make you bruise more easily, and even harm your liver and kidneys.’
- ‘Along with the external ulcer, the internal arterial lesion must be treated.’
- ‘The commonest causes of vasculitic ulcers are rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus, and polyarteritis nodosa.’
- ‘Gingival ulceration in herpetic stomatitis is common and is associated with mouth ulcers elsewhere and fever’
- ‘They are also afflicted with painful skin ulcers and stomach problems.’
- ‘The 13 year-old suffered from serious skin ulcers on his right knee and the wound festered upward to his thigh.’
- ‘Sometimes the stomach acid or the ulcer itself breaks a blood vessel in the lining of the stomach or duodenum.’
- ‘In most cases, treating the H. pylori infection allows the ulcer, or ulcers, to heal and prevents them from recurring.’
- ‘If the H. pylori germs are killed, your stomach ulcer or gastritis can be cured.’
- ‘Cells like that have been used to prevent cirrhosis of the liver and to heal diabetic ulcers and for drug testing.’
- ‘A mouth ulcer is a painful sore in the mouth on either the cheeks or gums.’
- ‘A common form of mouth ulcer, canker sores occur in women more often than in men.’
- ‘This is an autoimmune skin disorder that begins with lesions and skin ulcers on the face.’
- ‘Treating and preventing constipation may improve the symptoms and heal the ulcer.’
- ‘Painful skin ulcers with gangrenous margins may be a feature of mixed bacterial infections.’
- ‘These are more likely when the disease is active and include skin rashes, mouth ulcers, joint pains and anaemia.’
- 1.1 A moral blemish or corrupting influence.‘he's a con man with an incurable ulcer called gambling’
Late Middle English: from Latin ulcus, ulcer-.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.