One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- short for ukulele
- ‘I'd have been very pleased indeed if my interest in learning the uke had lasted a whole year.’
- ‘Sick of covering the burning paper mache dragon on 34th Street, reporters and film crews swarmed the uke players.’
- ‘‘I always felt they came to a stop whenever I had to play the uke,’ he recounted.’
- ‘So instead, I board the train with a pack on my back, a uke in my hand, and a song in my heart, attracting wary glances from everybody else on the platform.’
- ‘When, in the early 20th century, mainland America fell in love with Hawaii, it fell in love with the uke too.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.