One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pure form of asphalt mined in the Uinta Mountains and used to soften petroleum products, as well as in manufacturing paints and inks.
- ‘Gilsonite is AGC's brand name for the mineral known as asphaltum, uintaite or uintahite, which is found in commercial quantities only in two places the Uintah Basin of northeastern Utah, and Iran.’
- ‘The asphaltum you want is also known as Gilsonite (a trade name), asphaltite, and uintaite.’
- ‘A water-based drilling mud additive comprising a pre-blended combination of about 2 parts of high softening point uintaite, about 1 part of a lower softening point uintaite, about 1 part of causticized lignite, and a strongly lipophilic, non-ionic surfactant is disclosed.’
- ‘This natural asphalt is similar to hard petroleum asphalt and is often called a natural asphalt, asphaltite, uintaite, or asphaltum.’
- ‘American Gilsonite Company mines and processes the mineral known as asphaltum, uintaite or uintahite under the brand name Gilsonite.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.