One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mechanism used to secure a bicycle when parked, consisting of a U-shaped bar and crosspiece of hardened steel.
- ‘Across the Internet, home movies showing U-locks being opened with the barrel of a pen have been spreading like wildfire, since the Sunday posting of a San Francisco bike commuter to the website.’
- ‘If it's in a heavily trafficked area, you can probably get by with a good braided-steel-cable lock or U-lock for $18 to $30.’
- ‘Boston bicycle messenger John Anderson, 23, said a friend showed him how easy it was to defeat a U-lock.’
- ‘Another good option would have been a heavy U-lock, but those are always at least $15.’
- ‘Prior to the Bic pen news of late, I was looking for a new heavy duty lock to replace the generic U-lock I have that's about 12 years old.’
- ‘The only thing I could think that might save their business at this point would be a massive recall/refund for every customer with a U-lock.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.