One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A German submarine used in World War I or World War II.
- ‘During WWII, German U-boats sank more than 5000 merchant vessels and many Allied warships.’
- ‘Six months after Pearl Harbor, U-boats landed eight German marines on American shores for sabotage missions.’
- ‘The planes were catapulted to search and attack the German U-boat wolf packs that were sinking droves of ships in convoys.’
- ‘In 1939 he was an officer sailing in convoys that faced German U-boats in the desperate bid to keep Britain supplied with food and vital raw materials.’
- ‘They recovered code-books and minefield plans from sunken German U-boats in World War One.’
- ‘German U-boats sank the battleship Barham in the east and the carrier Ark Royal, which had helped keep Malta supplied with aircraft, in the west.’
- ‘As part of the surrender terms, the Royal Navy received 176 U-boats as spoils of war.’
- ‘This approach would be similar to that adopted to fight German U-boats in the Second World War.’
- ‘In all, 55 ships, submarines, U-boats and airplanes were sunk in Narvik harbour and the surrounding fjord.’
- ‘It was only discovered by chance in 2001 by a diving party searching for the wreck of a naval destroyer sunk by a U-boat during World War Two.’
- ‘The war news was bad, including the bombing of English cities in the Battle of Britain and British naval losses to German U-boats in the Atlantic.’
- ‘The first clutch of eggs were spotted by a local diving instructor during a training dive on the remains of one of the WWI German U-boats wrecked here in 1920.’
- ‘Much of the shipping heading to and from Scapa Flow during the two world wars passed through the Moray Firth, where German U-boats lay in wait, so there is no shortage of wrecks.’
- ‘German U-boats, sometimes assisted by Italian submarines, were the main weapon of attack, but aircraft and surface raiders also participated.’
- ‘The ship is thought to have been torpedoed by a U-boat in World War One.’
- ‘In his book, he raises the possibility that a German spy, based in Scotland, may have helped lead the U-boat into Scapa Flow.’
- ‘Just as in the First World War, U-boats nearly brought the UK to its knees.’
- ‘It was torpedoed by a German U-boat towards the end of World War Two.’
- ‘His assumption is based on research he has done into the sinking of the Lusitania, which was downed by a German U-boat during World War One.’
- ‘The Royal Oak, a Royal Navy flagship, was sunk by a German U-boat in Scapa Flow off Orkney near the start of the second world war.’
First World War: from German U-Boot, abbreviation of Unterseeboot ‘undersea boat’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.