One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(among the Jews) charitable giving, typically seen as a moral obligation.‘one common form of tzedakah was to allocate a portion of the harvest for the poor’
- ‘For American Jews, confining tzedakah to Jewish causes cannot fulfill the Psalm's deeper meaning.’
- ‘In the Jewish tradition of tzedakah, owners of property are required to care for those in need.’
- ‘Goldberg is doing Rothstein a favor by giving him the opportunity to perform the mitzvah of tzedakah, or charitable giving.’
- ‘Jewish law puts a limit on tzedakah, charity, of 20 percent of one's earnings.’
- ‘While tzedakah is a Jewish obligation, it is not meant to be fulfilled in a rote or soulless way.’
From Hebrew ṣĕḏāqāh ‘righteousness’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.