One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tropical storm in the region of the Indian or western Pacific oceans.
cyclone, tropical storm, storm, tornado, hurricane, windstorm, whirlwindView synonyms
- ‘Severe tropical cyclones correspond to the hurricanes or typhoons of other parts of the world.’
- ‘Hurricanes, like their regional cousin a typhoon, both come from the family of tropical cyclones.’
- ‘Each year, the tropics are battered by up to 40 hurricanes, typhoons, and cyclones, while floods and landslides occur everywhere in numbers too great to keep track of.’
- ‘Summer brings warm winds from the South Pacific, and typhoons, especially to the southern regions of the country.’
- ‘It is the super-cells within the tropical cyclones, such as hurricanes or typhoons that produce very heavy downpours as these storms start to move inland.’
- ‘In the Pacific they are known as typhoons, in the Indian Ocean as cyclones.’
- ‘There has been an observed and recorded link between the sea surface temperature and the frequency and intensity of tropical storms, typhoons and hurricanes.’
- ‘Hurricanes, tornadoes, typhoons, lightning storms, nothing was a match for what was experienced almost every night in our house.’
- ‘Kobayashi said last month's deadly earthquake in the central region of Niigata and typhoons that hit western provinces would have dampened the figures.’
- ‘Records for heavy rain, flooding, hurricanes and typhoons as well as drought and dust storms are increasingly being broken.’
- ‘The Far East, Australasia and the Indian Ocean have their fair share of typhoons and monsoons.’
- ‘Well, there have been strong hurricanes and cyclones and typhoons in other parts of the world this year.’
- ‘Other great winds like hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones, are essentially just high winds.’
- ‘Hurricanes, typhoons and tornados are commonplace.’
- ‘Many lives in Pacific states have been spared from earthquakes, tsunamis, typhoons and hurricanes in the last 50 years or so thanks to the system.’
- ‘He complained that the community flooded every time a typhoon or tropical storm swept through Taoyuan.’
- ‘The archives show names for typhoons in the western Pacific all of the way back to 1945.’
- ‘They include delays caused by storms, typhoons and snowfall.’
- ‘In other parts of the world, the same types of storms are called typhoons or cyclones.’
- ‘You have a lot of coastal dwellers particularly in the north, where cyclones and even typhoons, hurricanes are a problem, and we warmer waters are going to generate more intense cyclones.’
Late 16th century: partly via Portuguese from Arabic ṭūfān (perhaps from Greek tuphōn ‘whirlwind’); reinforced by Chinese dialect tai fung ‘big wind’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.