One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electric, electronic, or manual machine with keys for producing printlike characters one at a time on paper inserted around a roller.
- ‘A number of sewing machines and manual typewriters from Kerry have also been donated to the Zambian Mission.’
- ‘Final reports were prepared on manual typewriters with two-color ribbons so that totals appeared in red.’
- ‘There were a couple of electric typewriters, but we had to learn on the manual ones.’
- ‘Others have taken the counter-revolutionary step of actually returning to simpler machines such as typewriters.’
- ‘Your article on new technology prompts me to take time off from phoning our purveyor of electric typewriters with yet another complaint about his technological masterpiece.’
- ‘The stories are already largely written for them before the journalists take fingers to typewriters or pen to paper.’
- ‘Manual typewriters with onionskin carbon paper were the closest many of us got to automation.’
- ‘Today, these notions all sound like a naive echo from the era of idealism, manual typewriters, and rotary phones.’
- ‘The Malhotra parents ran a successful trading business in textiles, typewriters and sewing machines, but Malhotra senior had an eye to the future.’
- ‘In France there was an important trade with the United States, which imported typewriters, industrial machines, etc.’
- ‘Typewriting institutes are becoming an oddity, as manual typewriters are swept away by word processing software and computer keyboards.’
- ‘We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.’
- ‘We did have several electric typewriters, and we used the better of the two computers to keyboard accepted manuscripts.’
- ‘That hadn't been done yet; paper, pencil and typewriters still ruled.’
- ‘Punched cards were used to enter data and the output from the machine was either on punched cards or by an electric typewriter.’
- ‘The constant clacking of manual typewriters pounded a symphony of literary achievement against his sensitive eardrums.’
- ‘She taps on the manual typewriter, lives in the country house and walks the marshy fields.’
- ‘I loved the reference to manual typewriters - I'd learned to type on one.’
- ‘IBM has been located in Guadalajara since the 1950s, when it began to make those ‘golf ball’ electric typewriters.’
- ‘Wiltshire collector Nick Fisher had brought along 35 manual typewriters from a collection of 200 he started in 1975.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.