One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A machine with keys for producing alphabetical characters, numerals, and typographical symbols one at a time on paper inserted around a roller.
- ‘I loved the reference to manual typewriters - I'd learned to type on one.’
- ‘Today, these notions all sound like a naive echo from the era of idealism, manual typewriters, and rotary phones.’
- ‘That hadn't been done yet; paper, pencil and typewriters still ruled.’
- ‘Your article on new technology prompts me to take time off from phoning our purveyor of electric typewriters with yet another complaint about his technological masterpiece.’
- ‘Punched cards were used to enter data and the output from the machine was either on punched cards or by an electric typewriter.’
- ‘We did have several electric typewriters, and we used the better of the two computers to keyboard accepted manuscripts.’
- ‘Manual typewriters with onionskin carbon paper were the closest many of us got to automation.’
- ‘The stories are already largely written for them before the journalists take fingers to typewriters or pen to paper.’
- ‘IBM has been located in Guadalajara since the 1950s, when it began to make those ‘golf ball’ electric typewriters.’
- ‘Typewriting institutes are becoming an oddity, as manual typewriters are swept away by word processing software and computer keyboards.’
- ‘The constant clacking of manual typewriters pounded a symphony of literary achievement against his sensitive eardrums.’
- ‘Others have taken the counter-revolutionary step of actually returning to simpler machines such as typewriters.’
- ‘Wiltshire collector Nick Fisher had brought along 35 manual typewriters from a collection of 200 he started in 1975.’
- ‘The Malhotra parents ran a successful trading business in textiles, typewriters and sewing machines, but Malhotra senior had an eye to the future.’
- ‘There were a couple of electric typewriters, but we had to learn on the manual ones.’
- ‘A number of sewing machines and manual typewriters from Kerry have also been donated to the Zambian Mission.’
- ‘In France there was an important trade with the United States, which imported typewriters, industrial machines, etc.’
- ‘Final reports were prepared on manual typewriters with two-color ribbons so that totals appeared in red.’
- ‘She taps on the manual typewriter, lives in the country house and walks the marshy fields.’
- ‘We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.