One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A transmission system in a motor vehicle, providing power to either the front or the rear wheels only.
- ‘The two-wheel drive cars taking part have to be made before the year 1971, while the four wheel drives must be made before 1961.’
- ‘They were either two-wheel drive vehicles that couldn't cope off-road or ugly-as-sin truck-saloon crossovers that you wouldn't want to take anywhere (at least not in daylight).’
- ‘The 4Runner Sport Edition ranges from $29, 800 with two-wheel drive to a $36, 135 fully-loaded four-wheel-drive model.’
- ‘The Chevrolet Triax concept could be equipped with: all-wheel-drive electric, all-wheel-drive hybrid electric, or two-wheel drive internal combustion.’
- ‘The Equinox is available in either a two-wheel drive or on-demand all-wheel-drive.’
- ‘Villages are often cut off and even main road links to the hospital become hazardous and at times impassable in our two-wheel drive ambulances.’
- ‘The TrailBlazer SS is available in two-wheel drive and all-wheel drive configurations.’
- ‘The £19,995 Sport all-wheel-drive also carries more than £3,000 worth of extras, so it can pay to compare this with the £17,995 TS two-wheel drive estate automatic.’
- ‘All of them come in automatic four-speed ECT transmission, two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive versions.’
- ‘Admittedly I'm used to two-wheel drive buggies on dirt, which spend most of their time spinning the back wheels and sliding around, but this on-road car is a totally different experience.’
- ‘And when that doesn't work, get the two-wheel drive, buy four good snow tires and drive carefully.’
- ‘On the other hand, large two-wheel drive vehicles consume less than 10 liters during the same tests.’
- ‘Although many of the big sellers in this segment look like 4x4s, many Irish buyers opt for the cheaper two-wheel drive versions.’
- ‘The powershift transmission also offers upshift and automatic four-wheel-drive braking when in two-wheel drive.’
- ‘On a simple two-wheel drive car, traction control selects the wheel with the most grip in a loss-of-grip situation and gives it more power.’
- ‘When the Quattro four-wheel drive system is fitted, the A6 gets a different form of suspension from the standard two-wheel drive cars, particularly at the rear.’
- ‘The Aquada is a two-wheel drive which uses unleaded petrol and has an engine of 175 hp.’
- ‘The Outlander is available in two trim levels, LS and XLS, and in two-wheel drive and all-wheel-drive versions.’
- ‘The vehicle is in two-wheel drive unless the driver manually selects either high- or low-ratio.’
- ‘With Dealer Team Suzuki he'll compete against other two-wheel drive cars from a number of other manufacturers including MG, Ford, Citroen, Fiat and Vauxhall in his home series.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.