One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Denoting an internal combustion engine whose power cycle is completed in one up-and-down movement of the piston.
- ‘Mowers powered by two-stroke engines, for which gasoline and oil are mixed prior to ignition, are dirtiest.’
- ‘According to the EPA, two-stroke engines - which power a variety of other watercraft as well - are a leading source of toxic water pollution.’
- ‘Myriads of old cars, beat-up buses and superannuated trucks asphyxiate urban areas with their deadly exhaust, while the dirty two-stroke engines that power small vehicles emit ten times as much fine particulate matter as modern cars.’
- ‘However, instead of a large battery to power an electric motor, you have a fuel tank and a small piston engine, usually two-stroke, complete with air-filter, carburettor and exhaust pipe.’
- ‘See also the articles on Hemi engines, rotary engines and two-stroke engines.’
- 1.1 Denoting a vehicle having a two-stroke engine.
- ‘The two-stroke scooter engine was replaced by a more robust 247 cc four-stroke one.’
- ‘You're referring here to two-stroke vehicles and we haven't ourselves done very many trials on these but we are very hopeful.’
- ‘The race was split into four categories 50 cc, four-stroke motorcycles up to 180 cc, novice riders on two-stroke bikes and 100 to 135 cc for the experienced.’
- ‘Two-wheeler maker TVS Motor Company has said it plans to replace two-stroke motorcycle ‘Max’ with a four-stroke entry-level motorcycle within six months to arrest the erosion in sales.’
- ‘A two-stroke gasoline-fueled Honda motorcycle using HCCI principles finished seventh overall in the 1995 Baja 1000 off-road race.’
A two-stroke engine or vehicle.Compare with four-stroke
- ‘He and his team created the Evinrude E-TEC family of two-strokes; engines that are clean and darn-near worry free.’
- ‘Four-strokes just run so much cleaner than the old two-strokes.’
- ‘I had some good performances on 500 cc two-strokes in 1998 and 1999 but some still weren't convinced that I could win on the big bikes.’
- ‘Four-stroke engines are heavier than two-strokes but the technology means they burn fuel more completely and emit fewer pollutants.’
- ‘The fuel is better atomized than with carbureted two-strokes, resulting in a cleaner, more complete burn, more efficiency and better power, all of which helps these hybrids to meet EPA regulations.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.