Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A round dance with a sliding step in march or polka time.
- ‘At least I didn't showcase my spastic version of a two-step or attempt to warble along with the Neville Brothers.’
- ‘A musical magpie of a record, it steals cheekily from everything from dancehall and reggae to two-step, pop, showtunes, electro, film soundtracks and beyond.’
- ‘Without the help of the songwriter credits, it'd be hard to glean what songs are the traditional folk standards and which are 50s country two-step.’
- ‘Exiled clansmen and their ladies danced the eightsome reel, the military two-step and slow Scottish waltzes to the music of a bag-piper.’
- ‘So many straight men hated the two-step that it was perfectly normal for girls to dance together.’
- ‘The local band, which usually consisted of cornets, slide trombone, violin, clarinet, and bass drum, played at weddings, festivals, and other social occasions, offering waltzes, quadrilles, and two-steps.’
- ‘Cyrio and Bartha were beginning to pick up the two-step.’
- ‘There were lots of tunes to do the two-step to with your sweetheart.’
- ‘I can just see the hats twirling the rhinestone jeans around in a sweet, well-practiced two-step.’
- ‘In real life, the chances of my being able to dance anything more complex than a two-step are close to zilch.’
- ‘Their pace slowed as the fast waltz slowed to a two-step dance that didn't require much movement.’
- ‘Many bars and restaurants had dance floors and bands: fiddle, guitar, accordion, drums rattling out another infectious two-step or catering for the less energetic with a graceful waltz.’
- ‘For me Papa always reserved a rhythmic two-step to the strains of the beautiful old Bob Will's tune ‘Faded Love.’’
- ‘I may be 230 lb but I can do the splits and dance the Cajun two-step for two hours.’
- ‘This acoustic ensemble will bring an array of authentic Cajun waltzes, two-steps, and ballads to the stage.’
- ‘Panico, the dancer from Naples who has been wrapping herself around Maradona's new body through tangos, waltzes, two-steps and cha-cha-chas, arrived in Argentina to learn that she and Diego had had their last dance.’
- ‘The four-piece Quebecois band will be bringing hurdy-gurdies, fiddles, accordions, guitars, and lots of toe-tapping reels and two-steps to the stage, along with waltzes and ballads that will surely help you shake off the cold.’
- ‘For attendees who are unfamiliar with the two-step, dance lessons will be available so that everyone can participate.’
- ‘Getting to the top that quickly through internal growth will be tougher than dancing the Texas two-step with your boots on backward.’
- ‘The whole town turns cowpoke - if you are going, best pack a Stetson and learn to dance the two-step.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.