One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a member of a North American Indian people) gay, lesbian, or transgender.
- ‘In the two-spirited world I have stumbled on, I found that this group maintains a sense of family and a sense of dignity.’
- ‘These people were not chosen as community leaders and the elders did not teach the community to follow these two-spirited people.’
- ‘According to the new constitution, the collective will "strive to be an anti-oppression organisation that welcomes queer, two-spirited, transgender, transsexual, and genderqueer people."’
- ‘One exception is Aboriginal nationalism, which includes a tradition of "two-spirited peoples."’
- ‘Clark also recorded his observations of cross-dressing Native American two-spirited people.’
- ‘I come from the Native American background of two-spirited people, which allows us to go against the dominant sexual orientation and gender roles of the majority.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.