Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an aircraft) having two jet engines.
- ‘A vintage Beaufighter bomber, bought by the museum for a ‘six-figure sum’ two years ago, the society alleges, is in pieces in an unheated hanger, while a twin-jet fighter Buccaneer bomber is covered in corrosive dirt.’
- ‘The Albuquerque start-up is developing a small twin-jet plane - and leaning on a full-blown PLM suite to coordinate with suppliers in Japan, China, and Britain that will build the wings, nose section, and fuselage.’
- ‘Boeing's initial entry in the short-haul twin-jet airliner market, the 737-100, did not fly until April 1967, almost four years after the first One-Eleven test flight.’
- ‘Who would have thought that today we would see a new production run of the twin-jet Stormbirds being built?’
- ‘These private funds allowed Impulse to lease five brand new Boeing 717-200 twin-jet airplanes, making it the first company in Australia to use the aircraft.’
- ‘This ‘fracturing’ of the market was driven by the introduction of smaller twin-jet airplanes such as the 767 with sufficient range and market growth sufficient to make routes such as Atlanta-Milan viable.’
A twin-jet aircraft.
- ‘After three hours the twin jets - each five times hotter than the surface of sol - were shutting down, but their nuclear ghosts lingered for minutes after.’
- ‘The dull roar of the twin jets sitting five feet below me, usually a comfort, were now a cause for worry - would they hold up under the additional strain of the combat settings, which had increased their power output above redline?’
- ‘The sleek, almost sinister appearing, twin jet was the fastest thing in the sky and could outrun a Mustang by over a 100-mph.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.